With beautiful and sunny weather on the cards, there’s every opportunity to get out and about and explore the beautiful state of Western Australia!
As one of Perth’s most famous day trip locations, Rockingham is 40 minutes south from the Perth CBD and within easy reach via the Kwinana Freeway. Within the region, you’ll find two exciting destinations – Penguin Island and Seal Island, which are both found in Shoalwater Islands Marine Park.
Amongst all the fun things to do in Rockingham, a day trip to Penguin and Seal Island should be at the top of your list – and these two destinations are particularly popular during the school holidays. So whether you’re looking for activities that are adventurous, family-friendly or perfect for couples, you’ve found your match!
Located in Shoalwater Islands Marine Park, Penguin Island is by far one of the most sought-after attractions in the Rockingham area. For both adults and children alike, it’s an unforgettable day trip experience and a great family day out.
A short 5-minute ferry ride from Mersey Point, Penguin Island offers all kinds of coveted and fun activities to tick off your bucket list. Think diverse wildlife, breathtaking marine and coastal scenery and of course, the island’s renowned colony of little penguins.
Here are all the best and unique things to do at Penguin Island:
- Swim with wild dolphins! (more here)
- Cruise on a glass-bottomed boat with Perth Wildlife Encounters. This is the best way to spot some of WA’s most playful dolphins, sea lions and penguin colonies! (more here)
- Spend the day exploring the beauty of the island through its nature trails and boardwalks.
- Swim and snorkel in the crystal clear waters. Be sure to look out for the natural spa!
- Take in the through the binoculars at the lookouts on each end of the island. If you’re lucky, you could even spot dolphins and whales (in September to December)!
- Seeing nesting pelicans and other sea birds up close, especially in September and October when the chicks are hatching.
- Embark on a comprehensive, guided day tour. (more here)
- Pack a picnic to enjoy under the cool shade, where the trees overlook the beach.
- Learn about the island’s little penguins at the Discovery Centre. Catch them in action at one of three feeding sessions throughout the day. (more here)
To learn more about Penguin Island and Discovery Centre, buy tickets to the ferry or book a guided tour, please visit the Perth Wildlife Encounters website or call (08) 9591 1333.
Did you know that the Australian sea lion is the rarest seal species in the world? You can find these cool, playful creatures lounging around and playing in their natural habitat at Seal Island, which lies north of Penguin Island.
As one of the area’s breathtaking natural wonders Seal Island should undoubtedly be on your list of things to do when you next visit Rockingham. Simply hop on your kayak and paddle out to the island to respectfully admire resident sea lions – many of which might swim up closer to you to get a closer look!
There’s no doubt that Penguin Island and Seal Island are an absolute must-see for those in the Perth region. However, that’s not to say that the rest of Shoalwater Islands Marine Park doesn’t deserve exploration as well.
Shaped by a chain of reefs and unique limestone islands, this rich and diverse marine environment is home to bottlenose dolphins, sea lion colonies, seabirds and other marine life. Embark on scenic bush walk with the kids or head on down near the shoreline to admire the array of spectacular wildlife from afar.
In fact, Shoalwater Marine Islands Park is truly an aquatic playground. Here, a wide range of fun as well as free water sports can be enjoyed all year round. These include, but are not limited to:
Looking for other fun and different activities to do Rockingham? Simply stop by the Rockingham Visitor Centre or call (08) 9592 3464.